as I can find, this is the first deed recorded for Charles Kilgore, of
King's Mountain fame, in what is now Scott County, Virginia. In 1770, it was
Washington County, Virginia.
Here is the actual wording and spelling of the deed.
Surveyed for Charles Killgore two hundred acres of land in Washington County
by virtue of a Certificate from the Commissioners for the District of
Washington and Montgomery Counties and agreeable to an Act of the General
Assembly of Virginia passed in May 1779 lying on the East side of Falling
Creek a South branch of Clynch River and Beginning at a white oak on a spur
near the Creek and running thence S.54E.60 poles to a white oak and hicory on
the point of a rocky spur N.88E.170 poles to a white oak and ash saplin on the
top of a ridge; N.47E.124 poles to a white oak and Dogwood saplin in a sink
hole at the foot of a rocky ridge; N.49W.130 poles crossing branch to two
Dogwood saplins near the top of a ridge; N.19E.34 poles to a small white
oak; S.45W.128 poles to a stake near the end of a high ridge; N.48W.113 poles
to a white oak and walnut by a path; S.43W.80 poles to a large Poplar near the
Creek and up the same S.8E.80 poles to the beginning.
26th March 1783.
Walter Preston Asst.
Robert Preston SWC.
We the Commissioners for the District of Washington and Montgomery
Counties do certify that Charles Killgore assignee of James Hall is entitled to
two hundred acres of land lying in Washington County on the east side of
Falling Creek surveyed for the said Charles Killgore the first day of April
1774 by virtue of an order of Council passed the 16th day of December 1773
he having proved to the Court that he was entitled to the same by actual
settlement made in the year 1773.
As witness our hands this 14th day of August, 1781.
Test, James Reid, CCC
Commissioners: Jos. Cabell, Harry Innes, N. Cabell